- Video camera doorbells, also known as smart doorbells, are one of the most popular devices available today.
- Is this trend here to stay or just a passing fad?
- If you’re trying to decide whether a doorbell camera is worth the investment, then this blog is for you.
- We’ll share pros and cons to help make the choice that’s right for you.
What is a video camera/smart doorbell, anyway?
A video camera doorbell, “smart” doorbell, or video doorbell are just different ways of describing the same thing. They exist to replace existing doorbells and peepholes and like a security camera, a smart doorbell has a built-in camera that records video when activated by motion. The homeowner can then view the video footage in real-time and communicate with the visitor at their door through an app without needing to physically answer the door.
Homeowners aren’t the only ones who can benefit from a doorbell camera. Renters or folks who don’t want to bother with hardwiring a doorbell can also benefit from wireless video doorbells.
Why you might want a doorbell camera
Have you ever had your doorbell ring when you’re too busy to answer it? Or had a surprise visit from someone you weren’t expecting? Has a package mysteriously disappeared from your front porch? In situations like this, wouldn’t it be nice to know who came to your door?
With a doorbell camera, you can.
Increased security and peace of mind are probably the biggest reasons people choose a doorbell camera. Here are a few other pros:
- Convenience. No need to get up off the couch to see if it’s an annoying neighbor or a good friend at the door. Just check your phone!
- Communication. Let a delivery person know where to hide your package or say hello to your kiddos when they get home from school.
- Connectivity. Unlike a regular doorbell, smart doorbells connect seamlessly with your Jade Wi-Fi. In fact, our security cameras will integrate seamlessly with your chosen smart home system.
What to look for in doorbell cameras
If you want to get the most out of your doorbell, there are basic functions your camera should have. Things to consider as you shop include:
- Resolution: A doorbell camera that provides fuzzy, low-quality resolution, or doesn’t adjust to varying light levels very well won’t do you much good. The higher the resolution, the sharper the image. If resolution is high on your priority list, you’ll want a camera that provides 2K video to get clearer video recordings and higher quality images.
- Night Vision: Night vision is another must for doorbells. With night vision, your camera will let you see what’s going on in the dark, even if your porch light is off, giving you a bit more security 24/7.
- Field of View: This is how wide the camera can see. 180-degree means the camera can see everything in front of it, and to the sides. The Jade Security doorbell camera offers a 180-degree field of view, allowing you to see someone head to toe.
- Motion Detection: Doorbell cameras are often equipped with motion sensors in them that will alert you and begin recording footage when someone comes to your door, even if they don’t ring the bell. Advanced doorbell cameras allow you to pick specific zones to monitor, while ignoring other areas, and are able to detect the difference between a person, package, vehicle or animal.
- Weather Resistant: Because the doorbell camera lives on the exterior of your home, it will be exposed to elements like rain or snow as well as temperature fluctuations.
- Audio Features: One of the biggest benefits of a doorbell camera is being able to communicate through it. Two-way audio allows you to speak to whoever is at the door, such as telling delivery men to leave a package somewhere specific.
Whether you want to increase the security around your front door or you just want increased visibility into who’s coming and going, a doorbell camera is one of the smartest choices you can make.
Considering a doorbell camera or smart security system to give you peace of mind? Jade Security can help. Our Porch Protection doorbell camera can make your home safer and more convenient. Give us a call today at (719) 589-5140 or gojade.org/security to learn more.